Brrr, as the old song goes, “ Baby it’s cold outside!” Due to this year’s extreme cold temperatures, snowfalls and winds, your trees and shrubs may have taken a real beating.
Signs of winter damage may include:
- Broken limbs
- Cracked bark
- Loss of twigs or bark
- Yellowing/browning or loss of needles
- Salt/brown dry residue
- Deer and rodent damage
- Some signs may not even be visible yet, as shrubs and perennials may still be under snow.
Some weather-related damage can be prevented or at least minimized by proper preparation for the usual weather conditions in our area.
- Unfortunately, salt and some chemical alternatives used on the snowy and icy roads, walkways and driveways are not good for your landscaping.
- In early spring, flush the soil around the plantings with at least 2 inches of water for 2 to 3 hours, then repeat three days later. This will help remove accumulated salt from the soil. If the plants show signs of having been sprayed with salty water, rinse the foliage and branches thoroughly.
- Try alternative melting methods for driveways and walks, such as sand, cat litter, or sawdust.
- Avoid piling snow near your shrubs or trees
- Read: 3 Tips To Safely Remove Snow And Ice From Your Landscaping…And When To Do It
- When the worst of the weather has passed, assess your trees and shrubs and/or call Western Lehigh Landscape, your local landscaping contractors.
Tips for next year
- How to “Winterize” Your Landscape
- How to Protect Your Pond By Preparing for Winter: Helpful Tips
- For new or refurbished landscape, plant storm-tolerant varieties and hardy native plants
- Occasional light pruning of older trees might help them resist ice damage
- Weak branches and interior branches can be removed before winter sets in, however, try to avoid late summer pruning which will stimulate new growth
Western Lehigh Landscape brings exciting ideas to your backyard!
Enjoy your property all year long with exciting Custom Outdoor Kitchens, Hardscaping, Outdoor Lighting & Commercial Snow Removal Services.
Chase away the Winter Blues; Call 610-395-5557 for a price quote and to discuss your options.
Outdoor Kitchens, Custom Sculptures, Landscaping, Hardscaping,
Pool & Water Feature Design & Installations
Serving Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, PA
and the Greater Lehigh Valley Area